How Can I Keep My Teeth Healthy?
Below, your dentist in Salem has compiled some easy tips you can follow to manage your health at home. You would be surprised how truly easy it is to have the ultimate best care at home in between your bi-yearly appointments. This list is by no means exhaustive but offers many alternatives for people who are busy and distracted. With a list like this, there is no excuse for poor hygiene in between visits. Your dentist will be SO impressed with the work you’ve done when he or she sees your teeth and how sparkling clean they are.
- Perform oral hygiene at least four times daily, after each meal and before bedtime
- Rinse and wipe oral cavity immediately after meals.
- Brush and rinse dentures after meals.
- Use only toothpaste with fluoride.
- Keep water handy to moisten the mouth at all times.
- Apply prescription-strength fluoride gel at bedtime as prescribed.
- Rinse with a salt and baking soda solution four to six times daily.
- Avoid citrus juices (orange, grapefruit, tomato).
- Avoid liquids and foods with high sugar content.
- Avoid rinses containing alcohol. Use moisturizer regularly on the lips.
- Try salivary substitutes or artificial saliva preparations, which may relieve discomfort by temporarily wetting the mouth and replacing some of the constituents of saliva.
- Use oral pilocarpine as prescribed.