Salem, Oregon was originally inhabited by Native Americans and during this time, its official language was Kalapuya. The Kala puya ns used to call the area as the resting or meeting place that is translated as Chemeketa in their local dialect. However, the name of this town was easily changed due to the migration of new communities and establishment of new institutes in the land.
When the Methodist church moved into Chemeketa, the town was widely known as the Mill. This name came from Methodists who borrowed it form the mill creek tributary that divided the Chemeketa plains. The establishment of the Oregon Institute also made the town dwellers to be called the institutes and institute lands. Finally, during the year 1850 to 1851 Sir William Wilson, who handled filling the main plains of the town, called it Salem. Salem is a word derived from the name Jerusalem. It’s an anglicized version of the Hebrew word “shalom’’ which means peace.
Salem, Oregon original settlers.
Historians and archeologists estimate that people have lived in this area for more than 10, 000 years, long before civilization. The Native Americans who happen to be the Kalapuyans used to settle in camps in the south and east of the plateaus. Their main activities were fishing and gathering in the fields to make a living. Also, their staple food was camas roots and occasionally they would clear fields through setting fire and then cultivate.
The United States government removed all the Kalapuya communities from the plateaus of Salem using force and combined treaties in the early 1850s. The Kalapuyans were forced to migrate to the Grande Ronde Reservations, which are located to the outermost west side of Salem.
Early civilized settlers.
The early civilized settlers were the European, who arrived in this location in 1812. Their main activities were fur trading, animal trapping as well as food gathering. Jason Lee Methodist Church mission was the first community to permanently settle in the land in the year 1840. They grew in number and established the Oregon Institute in 1842. In the year 1857, Salem was incorporated as a city and by 1859 it became the state capital.
The cherry festival.
Salem had embraced the growth of cherry in a large scale by the year 1861.Their seriousness in the agricultural growth and production of cherry made Salem be commonly known as “the cherry city.” For this reason, the demand and establishment for the annual cherry festival came into play in the year 1903. This festival was for all the town dwellers especially farmers, and it involved the selection of a cherry queen. This festival comes to an end during the First World War but was later revived in the late 1940s.